Saturday, July 10, 2010

shish kabobs, roasted corn and plantains...oh my!

Our first Dinner Project event is August 27th and the menu theme is African. Hmmm...never have eaten an African dish--check! Never have made an African dish--check! Scared out of my mind to know what's in an African dish--check! Is it too late to change our menu plans? Wait...step out of the box, where is the adventurous side of you, there's more to life then steak and potatoes, right?

Okay, google "African recipes"....and find:

Shish kabobs? Roasted corn? Fried plantains? Okay...must retract my earlier statements of never eating, making, or trying African food. As I scroll through the recipe options I see carrot cake, cornbread, and garlic chicken. I have been eating African cuisine all my life and just didn't know it! Granted there is something called cassava that you can boil, fry and make into a bread, a suspicious recipe called togbogee and rice which is made with bitterballs and a refreshing beverage called pawpaw juice. But as long as there is skewered peppered beef and sweet potato fries, I realize once again I am wrong. Universal dining is all about steak and potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment